[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r19514 by paulh

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 3 14:56:39 UTC 2009

On 01/02/2009 12:51 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> Rob Smith wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>
>>> It because the 'ps cax' command used to list the running processes
>>> truncates the command name to  'mythfilldatabas'.
>>>
>> 'ps caxw' wouldn't fix that?
> No that doesn't work either.  'ps caw' would though.
>
> I think your trying to fix something that isn't broken though.  It had
> been working fine for over 3 years until Daniel & Matthew tried to fix
> it :-) Admittedly it does look like a type.
>
> Like Daniel says the isRunning() functions probably should be changed
> but I'm not going to waste my time fixing something that isn't really
> broken but I would I accept a patch to change it.

And, really, AIUI, Chris Pinkham is looking at changing them/moving them
to libmyth as part of his automatically-shutdown/wake-up remote backends
work, which requires the backend to determine what's happening on
various different systems (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/360309#360309 ).  And,
if he doesn't do it, I may implement a patch for it as part of my
(long-promised) automatic-database-maintenance-in-the-backend patch (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/254715#254715 ) so
maintenance only occurs when the system is truly idle.

So, as Paul said, why fix something that's not broken--especially since
it's likely to be replaced with a different/more robust approach.  (I'd
say it isn't even worth a commit to add a comment saying that it's not a
typo--especially since it's now well-documented on the list. ;)

Mike