[mythtv] Questions on #6138 (HDHomeRun multirec)

Bill Cizek cizek at rcn.com
Wed Feb 4 16:43:21 UTC 2009

> Two questions:
>
> * I've many times before recorded from all four physical tuners at
> once, and usually the two OTA tuners are set to non-multiplexed
> channels. My understanding is that theoretically, from a disk- and
> network-usage standpoint, recording from my now six tuners should be
> no more stressful than what I've already been doing (except some
> extra load on the MySQL server from laying down six seektables
> instead of four). Is this correct?

Tough to answer. It'll obviously add more load because you're
recording more programs, but the added load from multirec
should be less than using two separate tuners. My changes
work like the DVB multirec: A single stream is read from the
network and dispatched to whatever recorders are listening to it.

For comparison:
I've got an old 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 system with 3 GB Ram,
a raid5 media volume, one HDHR and two pcHDTV-3000 cards.

For my testing I ran 3 recordings on all 4 tuners (12 recordings at once)
and it worked fine.