[mythtv] Any point in suggesting a switch to git...

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Dec 13 23:15:24 UTC 2009

Expecting a negative reaction since it's a change to the status quo, but
if someone doesn't ask then no one knows we care...

Is there any interest in migrating to git, or perhaps maintaining an
automatically synced git repo matching svn? (or some other distributed
vcs system, would be happy with mercurial/bazaar at a pinch?)

Either you know all about "git"and "get it" or you don't, so I won't
spend too long pushing a rock up-hill.  The basic use case is that at
least "I" maintain a private fork of mythtv with some local patches and
a DVCS allows me to easily maintain my own patch set locally whilst
still tracking trunk.  Personally I also believe it encourages
development and innovation because it's much easier to develop locally,
then prepare a patchset and submit it...

(For me at least dvcs systems seem like a big landmark in encouraging
community driven development)

I believe trac has some ability to integrate with git, but I believe the
integration is less high quality than the svn integration?  Perhaps it
would be an acceptable halfway house to have an official git repo which
syncs say half hourly with the svn repo?  If the uptake were positive it
would be a sign of interest in the idea?

Can I suggest perhaps that github is a good free git repo implementation?

Cheers

Ed W