[mythtv] MythTV & R5000-HD

Info at quantum-sci.com Info at quantum-sci.com
Mon Sep 22 13:09:26 UTC 2008

On Sunday 21 September 2008 22:13:59 Michael Norton wrote:
> I have made contact with the author of the R5000 code; my
> understanding is that it will be a while before he's able to devote
> any time to the R5000 stuff, which is understandable.

He hasn't responded to my emails, and has discouraged others, so I suspect that he's done with development on this.

> No offense, but questions like how to
> download a patch aren't really things one should be bugging developers
> with anyway.

Understand, but I had asked on the -users list and on several myth-related forums, and zero help.  You have to admit, a subtle link, all the way at the bottom of a long patch -an unusual way to do an svn- would not necessarily be caught by alot.  And after all this is to do with enhancing Myth, isn't it?

I -will- be using the R5000, and if I can not get Myth working I must resort to Sage on Winduhs in VirtualBox.  I have spent every spare moment for days on this patch so far though, trying to avoid that.

Heard a rumor that the patch is not stable recording HD, so I may just be wasting my time.  But I have waited over a year to afford Myth on R5000, and will try till I fail, even though I have had -No- TV for months.  I can't activate Dish until I get some kind of recording going.

> On the other hand, if you're comfortable with downloading
> and applying patches, editing as required, and recompiling, then have
> fun. I don't think there is code written for all the receivers' IR
> yet, so you might have to do that depending on your receiver. Also
> don't forget about the usb patch for your kernel modules -- depending
> on your distro it may not apply directly; I had to just make the edit
> manually.

I didn't have any of the .orig files the patch requires, so I ended up installing each patch by hand.  The EHCI driver is patched, kernel compiled, and I am running that now.  But Myth compile is crashing with a mysterious error I am trying to figure out.

Thanks for the help Mike.