[mythtv] Best quality SD TV picture from DVB-T source

Maatt thepigs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 23:16:49 UTC 2008

> Very few people seem to understand the full details of these
> issues. I thought maybe on the dev list I might have some luck.

I admire your commitment to quality. I must admit I have no knowledge
on this matter although its an interesting problem. On my mythfrontend
(0.21-fixes) there is a de-interlacer called 'no deinterlacing' (or
something like that). The description reads that you need X.org set to
an interlaced video mode at the same resolution as the source
material. I imagine this will be the best quality (esp. wrt CPU usage)
you can get. My opinion is that a PC based device will never have
quality equivalent to a (good) DVR. I'm guessing the DVR will have
hardware that clocks the video output device and sound output device
using clocks extracted from the source material so everything is
perfectly synchronized. This is not possible with a PC.
Good luck, let me know how you went.