[mythtv] Best quality SD TV picture from DVB-T source

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Sep 19 10:51:48 UTC 2008

I've just built a MythTV frontend using a J7F2 board and minimyth,
for driving an old SD but top quality CRT TV. Works great, except
the image quality is not as good as my old DVRs. From what I've
read, the loss of quality is partly the use of an S-Video connection
and is partly the processing of the interlace. I want to build
something better, but I just can't work out what my options are.

I've just read about using bob-deinterlace via VldXvMC as a way
to pass the interlace directly though to TV out without
processing, but I don't really know what's involved. If that
would solve the interlace problem, then maybe I could buy
a EN12000E board that has component out via a JTV header, and
I'd get quality equal to my old DVR. I'd like to go that way
if possible because I like to stick with small and silent.

The other option I've been looking at is an FX5200 graphics
card, but again I can't find out for certain if that provides
a route to a solution.

Very few people seem to understand the full details of these
issues. I thought maybe on the dev list I might have some luck.

Cheers,
	Paul.