[mythtv] SlimServer integration ?

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:39:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:10 AM, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:

> (Resurrecting a really old thread)
>
> Erland Isaksson wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Has someone done any work on a plugin which integrates with SlimServer ?
>
> Wow, I didn't know anyone was talking about this over here in mythtTV
> land (I'm from mvpmc.org land).  You might find this interesting:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythsqueezebox/
>
> ...however, I haven't been able to successfully install it.  And, I
> haven't heard back from the author (although it's only been several days).
>
> George... you out there?
>
> (BTW, George, if you are out there - how hard would it be to drive a VFD
> from this plugin, that is if it doesn't already, assuming you'd use the
> same linux lcd driver that mythtv uses.)
>
>> Unless someone already has started I'm thinking about making a try at
>> this, my idea is to base it on the mythmusic plugin. Instead of reading
>> the information from the MythTV database it would retrieve the
>> information from SlimServer either via the CLI interface or by using
>> direct database access towards the SlimServer MySQL database.
>>
>> Has anyone an idea if this would be the best way to do it or if I should
>> base it on some other plugin code ?
>
> CLI would be the way to do it.
>
>> Could I base it on the 0.20 version of mythmusic or has there been big
>> changes in the 0.21 version of mythmusic so it would be better to use that ?
>>
>> I'm running MythTV 0.20 in my living room, so it would have to be
>> compatible with the 0.20 release.
>>
>> The main functionality I am thinking of is:
>> - Make it possible to browse the music in SlimServer in some different ways
>> - Show album covers
>> - Make it possible to start playing selected music on the SqueezeBox
>>
>> Regards
>> Erland
>
> And, it sounded like, in one of your follow ups to this post, that you
> only wanted to control the server and use a real SqueezeBox to play back
> the music.
>
> That makes it even simpler!
>
> You don't have to emulate a local sound buffer or abstract the
> SqueezeBox VFD.  You can just tell the server using the CLI port what
> you want to do.  All you need to do is identify your self as the client
> you want to control by using the SqueezeBox's MAC address and toss
> commands to the SqueezeCenter's CLI port.  You could even open a telnet
> session right now and do it by hand (although typing the MAC every time
> would be a pain and the commands are a bit cryptic).
>
> If you need technical specs just download and install SqueezeCenter.
> All the info on the CLI protocol (and other stuff) are built into
> SqueezeCenter's (locally generated by the server) web pages.  Opensource
> is great, let's hope logitech doesn't screw it up.
>
> ...have fun.

Stuart:

Sorry, I must have missed you email.  The project is still alive.
I've been working on updating the code a little bit and should have
something new to post soon -- nothing major, a few bug fixes and
integration into the setup functionality of myth.  The current code
gets the VFD messages from the SqueezeCenter and produces a display
similar to what you get with a Squeezebox (though I've not yet
implemented the transition animation).

I haven't tried to drive the information through mythlcd yet, but that
can be added later.  You're correct that the CLI (which I already use
to gather some info) is the way to go there.

I'd be happy to try to help you get the project working on your
machine.  Why don't you contact me off-list (or move this discussion
to the user list) with details about what isn't working.

George