[mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Tue Oct 21 23:46:19 UTC 2008

Matt Hakim wrote:
>>> I agree about the channel change time -- about 5 sec. Then again, I
>>> find the whole UI quite slow in 0.21 fixes. I can see the widgets
>>> redraw themselves.
>> This is unrelated to the current discussion. It sounds like you're using
>> the OpenGL renderer without any OpenGL acceleration, so your system is
>> falling back to Software-based MesaGL rendering. If you switch rendering
>> engines to Qt, the "Slow UI" problem should go away.
>> --
>> Robert Johnston
>
> Well I guess I didn't mean slow, I meant you can see widget flicker
> like there's no double buffering for widget drawing. I find the UI
> clunky though -- like you can feel the gears turning in the
> background. Hence I'm not surprised that channel changes take a long
> time given this clunky feel. My point was is that it's no XBMC in the
> frontend department.

I guess I'm in the minority here.  I've tried XBMC (on xbox, mac, and
linux), and while it's not bad, I find the interface non-intuitive.  The
menus are fine (and pretty), but the video/audio controls are not what
I'd call well thought out (at least the default mappings).  I may be
missing something.

Of course, I've been running Myth for over 5 years now, and I haven't
found any frontend I like better (including MythMusic, which seems to be
extremely unliked).  To each his/her own...

To stay on topic, I'm seeing channel changes of about 1-2 seconds after
my IR blaster script finishes - the script adds more time, and I've
stretched out the intra-digit delays to make sure I get solid changes.
I can't remember the last time I had a failed channel change, and that's
the most important thing.  Of course, as others have said, livetv is
maybe a once a month thing (if that).

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan