[mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Sun Oct 19 22:32:49 UTC 2008

> takes 5 to 6 seconds to change channels.  I would consider it slow.

 That time is VERY subjective. Some people have crazy long times,
and unfortunately not the skills or desire to fix it on their own.
And while few if any devs use livetv, those that have tried it
don't seem to get those long change times.

 My average channel change time on my pvr cards, and my dvb card is
approximately 1 second (remote backend, decent frontend machine)
and 2.5-3 with my firewire stb, mainly because of the time to
send the channel changecommands to the box.

 At the same time on my msntv (733mhz) frontends its significantly
longer.  Though to be honest we don't really watch LiveTV in my house,
but it gets used for testing and when these sort of threads
come out :)