[mythtv] Fwd: [mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

John Fulton john at geode.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 15 13:45:49 UTC 2008

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Jonathan Larson <jtlarson at u.washington.edu> says:
>
>> My recent observations
>> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/ 352639#352639)
>> lead me to believe that you can set 'SGweightLocalStarting' to 0 and
>> myth will prefer the local drives only till they run short on space;
>> at which point it start sending content to networked drives. This is
>> working for me so far--I'm just waiting to see what happens when I
>> run out of free space on all drives.
>>

> The setting definitely helps and should be made the default, but is
> not a cure-all once all drives are full.
>
> Keep your eye on #5746; I've been trying it for the past two weeks and
> have been in touch with John Fulton about a possble improvement.

While working on #5746 tonight I think I've found a subtle bug which is
catching people with multiple drives:

The file placement scheduler calculates the actual file size required to
the KB and finds a drive to place that on, but the auto-expire code
works on 1.3  times the required disk space in the next few (usually 15)
minutes.  So the scheduler can place the file onto a drive that will
result in a file being expired when there are better, less full drives
to place the file on.  The unexpected expiration occurs near the end of
the recording.

I'll try increasing the estimated file size used by the scheduler by a
third to see if that stops the unexpected files being expired.