[mythtv] New Video Decode and Presentation API

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Tue Nov 18 19:50:34 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008 1:42:12 pm Andy Ritger wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce a new video API for Unix and Unix-like platforms,
> and a technology preview implementation of this API from NVIDIA.
>
> The API is called VDPAU (Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix).

Here's a _very_ preliminary patch that enables very basic use of VDPAU in
myth.  You'll need at least a distclean after applying.

What works:
 - mpeg2 decode (haven't really tested anything else)

What's missing:
 - Any sort of hardware capability detection
 - Deinterlacing
 - OSD
 - Stability

Expect things to be very buggy/unstable/hardware catching on fire/etc - please
treat this as more of a proof of concept patch.  I don't need to be inundated
with replies that things don't work at this stage. =)

Make sure you have the 180.x driver installed (and have supported hardware),
then patch myth, make distclean, re-run configure, and then all you need to do
is set the decoder/renderer to vdpau in the video playback profile settings.

Isaac