[mythtv] Samsung LCD TVs run Linux. Implement a native mythtv front end within the TV ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 18:34:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 12:25 -0600, Marc Randolph wrote:

> While it would be the ultimate front-end, I'll go out on a limb and
> say the chances of a front-end are quite slim.  This AVS forum post
> hints why:
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14523204#post14523204

Thanks for the link.   Nice to know I am not the only one thinking this
way.

> which starts out:
> "I checked out the source code from some of the other TV's -- and I
> don't think it'll be very helpful to get the source. They seem to be
> using a Linux Kernel, Busybox, and glibc ... all the items needed to
> have a embedded system boot up and run the closed source apps that
> actually run the TV."

But he never actually got the source code to check for this TV.   For
all we know, its running the xine engine for the signal processor.

> There are a number of different set-top-boxes and media servers which
> run Linux.  Most interest to re-purpose them runs into the same
> troubles: the meat of the functionality is not open-sourced.  It is
> almost certainly possible to disassemble and/or reverse engineer, but
> the perceived payback for the man-hours required doesn't seem like it
> would be worth it, at least to me (I was very interested in this sort
> of thing regarding Sigma Designs-based media players at one point).

I am in the FTA satellite world.   Some Linux based products like the
Captiveworks receivers are completely open once you spend some time with
them.   Some people have successfully hacked them without much work at
all and added a lot of fucntionality.

> One common limitation with many embedded Linux devices is the tiny
> amount of RAM they contain.  I'd also try to estimate how much
> processor power is left over and compare that with how much the
> front-end might require.

It shouldn't be too hard to port "top" and "df" to find out.

I'll keep everyone informed of my progress.