[mythtv] Samsung LCD TVs run Linux. Implement a native mythtv front end within the TV ?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 14:53:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been shopping for a new flat panel HDTV.   One of the sets on my
> short list is the Samsung LN52A650.  Another is the LN52A750.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102201
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln52a650/4505-6482_7-32887597.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody
>
> http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LN52A650A1FXZC
>
> Anyway, these models appear to run Linux as the last chapter in the
> users manual has the GPL printed out.
>
> http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/download/supportDown.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=lcd&model_nm=LN52A650A1F&prd_ia_cd=02010100&disp_nm=LN52A650&mType=&dType=D&vType=R
>

> Samsung has released several firmware updates for these TVs.  They are
> installed via a USB thumbdrive.
>
> These TVs have an Ethernet port.  They also have an optional USB Wifi
> dongle that allows them to connect to a local wireless network.  Albeit
> with limited functionality.
>
> The LN52A750 is rumored to have a built in hard drive.
>
> So... what are the chances that "we" could hack these sets to either
> increase the network functionality (ie full DLNA functionality) or
> implement a mythtv front end within them ?

I doubt it, but check out this TV I just saw on engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/silicon-mountains-allio-42-inch-hdtv-with-built-in-pc-blu-ra/

They say it has a Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU, 4GB of RAM, a 1TB hard drive.
Right now it comes with Vista but supposedly a newer low cost version
will have Ubuntu, so I'd imagine that all the hardware would be
supported in linux.
--
http://www.gunaxin.com/ : check out my new site about Sports, Girls,
Humor, Media, Gadgets, and Beer.