[mythtv] Implications of the new youtube API

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Mar 14 17:32:15 UTC 2008

* On Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 11:45:36AM -0500, Trey Boudreau wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:42:32AM -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > I do see constant streams as different from individual files though.  If
> > it is a stream you can join at any time, then it should be handled by
> > the backend.  If it's playback of a file such as viewing a single video
> > off YouTube, then I would think that would be done best by the player.
> >
> We don't ever (not in the last year, I think) watch anything "live".
> Why would I want to treat a single streamed file any differently?  What
> if you have a low-bandwidth connection but want to watch a high quality
> stream?  Why shouldn't I schedule a recording of the streamed file for
> the middle of the night when no one else in the house needs the network
> bandwidth?
>
> Perpetually time-shiftedly yours,

If you don't have enough bandwidth for watching YouTube video, then
you shouldn't be surfing the net.  There are flash ads out there bigger
than some of those videos.

If you want to download single files for later perusal, use wget and
MythVideo.  Or setup the URL using the IPTV recorder so it would be
downloaded. (Note, I haven't tested that, but based on what people are
saying it sounds like it would work).

--
Chris