[mythtv] Implications of the new youtube API

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Fri Mar 14 16:45:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:42:32AM -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> I don't think I see this as 'recording', it's playback of a remote stream
> just like a myth:// URL is handled by the RingBuffer class.  I think it would
> be nice if someone were to mod the RingBuffer and player code so that they
> could support playback of a streamed file via something like http or RTSP.
>
> I do see constant streams as different from individual files though.  If
> it is a stream you can join at any time, then it should be handled by
> the backend.  If it's playback of a file such as viewing a single video
> off YouTube, then I would think that would be done best by the player.

We don't ever (not in the last year, I think) watch anything "live".
Why would I want to treat a single streamed file any differently?  What
if you have a low-bandwidth connection but want to watch a high quality
stream?  Why shouldn't I schedule a recording of the streamed file for
the middle of the night when no one else in the house needs the network
bandwidth?

Perpetually time-shiftedly yours,
-- Trey