[mythtv] Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 14:56:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Andrew M. Bishop <
> amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> 8).

>> newer
>>
>> > No. xawtv and tvtime play just fine. The system is also pretty stable.
>> >
>> > The only problem is mythtv (LiveTV). The version of the bttv driver is
>> the
>> > same (0.9.17) on both kernels.
>> >
>> > That is why I am asking a direction here. I see no way of isolating the
>> > problem, without knowing how myth interacts with the hardware.
>>
>> I had the same problem and stayed on kernel 2.6.24 with my bttv cards.
>> I did some investigation and the problem seems to be related to the
>> changeover to V4L2 in 2.6.25.
>>
>> This message http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/6/83 describes a patch to the
>> bttv driver, but if you look at the 2.6.25 kernel source you will see
>> that it isn't there.  If you apply this patch (like I tried) then it
>> will get further, it won't lockup but I didn't get any video either.
>>
>> I e-mailed video4linux-list at redhat.com, v4l-dvb-maintainer at linuxtv.org
>> and mchehab at infradead.org reporting the problem, but the e-mail never
>> appeared on the list and I had no reply from the maintainer.
>>
>> There looks like there is a different patch for this problem in the
>> latest v4l git tree and mainline kernel, but I haven't tried them:
>>

>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mchehab/v4l-dvb.git;a=commitdiff;h=81b2dbcad86732ffc02bad87aa25c4651199fc77
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=81b2dbcad86732ffc02bad87aa25c4651199fc77
>>
>> I am waiting for kernel 2.6.26 and hoping that it will work again.
>>

> I rebuilt video4linux from ATrpms using today's snapshot,
> and it worked.
>
> Well, almost. If I try mythtv Live TV after rebooting, I get a green screen
> (but no lock).
> However, If I run mplayer before using mythtv, Live TV works just fine.
> Maybe this is related to the nvidia driver I am using. I did not try the
> latest one (173.14.09).
>
> I will ask Axel to make video4linux (20080622) available to the public.
>
> Thanks for the clue.

Interestinly, it seems not to be nvidia.
Also, only the script I use to watch TV using mplayer fix the green screen
issue.
I am including the script in case someone can devise why this is so:

#!/bin/sh
#  Author: Paulo Roma.
#  Plays a TV channel using mplayer.
#  $1 is the channel to be played.
#  $2 is the source.
#  $3 turns line to PCM on or off.

CHN="$1"
ISRC="$2"
# Brilho
BRT="0"
# Contraste
CNT="-10"
# Saturacao
SAT="20"

if [ $ISRC == 0 ] && [ "$CHN" != "Video" ]; then
   echo "Television" "$CHN"
   CRP="624:460:2:0"
else
   echo "Composite"
   CRP="624:460:2:8"
   BRT="0"
   CNT="-20"
   SAT="20"
fi

# The only way to get sound from composite input when card=70.
# Route the capture sources on the sound card back in as PCM audio
if [ "$3" == 1    $HOME/bin/setline.sh
    #$HOME/bin/line2pcm.sh 0 0 1
    $HOME/bin/line2pcm.sh 0 pulse 1
fi

mplayer tv://${CHN} \
-quiet \
-mixer-channel Line \
-nofs -novm \
-tv driver=v4l2:\
device=/dev/tvtuner:\
width=640:height=480:\
outfmt=i420:\
norm=pal-m:\
channels=2-TVE,3-Video,4-Globo,6-RedeTV,7-Band,9-CNT,11-SBT,13-Record:\
amode=1:\
input=$ISRC:\
alsa:adevice=hw.0:\
audiorate=32000:\
chanlist=us-cable:\
brightness=$BRT:\
contrast=$CNT:\
saturation=$SAT \
-vc rawi420 -vo xv -vf crop=$CRP,pp=lb

if [ "$3" == 1 ]; then
    $HOME/bin/ccsound.sh
fi

# Terminate jobs of this shell running on the background.
# Note that line2pcm was created in another shell.
kill %1

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ