[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r15604 by cpinkham

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Jan 30 04:08:50 UTC 2008

On 28-Jan-08, at 4:26 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> I think I misunderstood part of what you were saying then, because
> in my response I also talk about visually flagging the MythVideo
> groups in the editor.

Looks like there was misunderstanding all around, I read your whole
email and didn't connect that we were saying the same thing in
different wordings. Oh well.

> Several people asked why I didn't use a Storage Group ID instead of
> using the name in the storagegroup table.  My answer at the time was
> 'just to keep it simple'.  We could roll the SG name into this table
> at some point and just use the ID in the storagegroup table.
>
> This would be a 3rd table right?  Am I correct in remembering that
> you are adding a table to hold MythVideo specific info about a
> MythVideo SG?

Yes it would be a third table but I don't want to do it as part of
this mythvideo patch because it's already turning into a big ramble
through the forest. The storage groups deferred save piece was a
surprise and then I had to touch mythtv-setup to prompt for a save
when StorageGroupListEditor::exec returns. Easy enough but the dialog
comes up after the screen has been cleared which looks amateurish so
I'm probably going to change it to embed the SGListEditor in a
ConfigWizard so the user will have nice Cancel/Finish buttons.
They're not that complicated as changes go or even hard but they do
take a bit of time which I don't have and aren't directly related to
why I started this which is mythvideo. Put together enough side
adventures and a one weekend quickie turns into a month long on again
off again effort. But, it's fun to learn new things so I'm not
complaining.

Anyway, about the storagegroup table - for naming sake I wonder if it
would be good to keep storagegroup for the top level per-group
attributes and use a new storagedirs table for the individual
directory entries. The DB convert would copy the current storage
group table to storagedirs, truncate and alter storagegroup and then
do a select distinct to populate it + a few updates to connect the
group IDs. But it's your baby so whatever you like. Just a thought.

My plan/hope is to have a mythvideo patch ready by the end of the
weekend. The storage groups part is pretty much done, I hope, so if
I'm not finished I might just peel off a storage groups preparatory
patch since it will likely be different people reviewing the
different halves. The video portion would follow soon (er or later)
after.

Anduin, if you're listening, when I have mythvideo proper working
with storage groups I'm going to open a ticket and while waiting for
feedback will take a look at what needs to be done for uPnP, mythweb
and the imdb etc scripts.

- George