[mythtv] MythTV won't run with VIA CX700M2 chipset

Oliver Maunder olly at roomaroo.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 22:05:54 UTC 2008

Hi Florin

On Jan 24, 2008 2:21 AM, florin baiduc <florinbaiduc at gmail.com> wrote:
> The same question from my side...
> Can you play a movie on CX700M2?

Yes

> Do you have OpenGL accelerated graphics?

Yes - but don't count on the performance being that great. VIA  claim
it's good enough to run compiz. Not that you'd want to on a front end.

> If yes, please post you setup and whatever "hacks" you applied to the code. I am very interested in this topic and it is definitely a -dev topic as it implies quite a lot of changes in various source files.

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 1and the mythtv 0.2.20 packages from the Ubuntu
repositories. SVN should work too, but I wanted to work with something
more stable!

I used the alternate install disc, and installed a command line
system. Then I installed ubuntu-mythtv-frontend, which installs X too.

I downloaded the VIA driver installation package from
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=45&CatID=3220&SubCatID=184

This provides a script you can run which installs the driver and
updates xorg.conf.

Then I set up the build environment to build mythtv:
  sudo apt-get install build-essential
  sudo apt-get build-dep mythtv

Then I got the mythtv source:
  apt-get source mythtv

I only needed to change two files in the end.

1) In libs/mythtv/vsync.cpp, comment out the following line in
VideoSyn::BestMethod (line 95):
   //TESTVIDEOSYNC(DRMVideoSync);

2) In libs/mythtv/VideoOutXV.cpp, uncomment line 67:
  #define USE_ATI_PROPRIETARY_DRIVER_XVIDEO_HACK

Then do the configure/make/make install thing, at it should all work.

That's all from memory, so I might have forgotten something. If you
get any problems, let me know.

Olly