[mythtv] Improve MythTV usability

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Tue Jan 22 00:39:37 UTC 2008

> If the user want to use a touch screen (mythrecipe in the
> kitchen for example), he will need a back button in the menu or the
> Info
> button, that should be theme independent (I should admit, I don't know
> how it can be possible).

or a "gesture" which is mapped to those actions.

>  Some screen have an help menu, it may be time to spread this
> feature to
> each screen/menu. the Help could describe the purpose of the screen,
> describe the icons if needed (dependant of the theme) and display what
> action can be performed with what key, according to the user settings.
> May be those help menus can be standardised and self generated.

Agree with all that,
but "screen purpose" and icons are
extra documentation that someone
needs to add somewhere, and maintain.

The keybindings table contains almost enough information
for a context-sensitive, self generated, key help popup:

context      action  description           keylist
TV Frontend  DELETE  Delete Program              D
Music        DELETE  Delete track from playlist  D

Something like
MythMainWindow::ShowKeyHelp(const QString &context)
could:

1) Get a list of all the relevant keys for context

2) Prune that list down to just the non-Global ones
(we don't really need to know every number key)

3) Translate the descriptions to the users' language

4) Maybe group related keys together,
and prioritize (show oft used ones first)

Eagerly awaiting someone to produce a patch for this :-)

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|The weak point of
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | the modern car is