[mythtv] Status Question: Is current SVN useable?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sun Jan 20 09:10:25 UTC 2008

On 1/19/08, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2008 18:48:35 Willy Boyd wrote:
> >  If' it's free,
> > what does it matter if someone criticizes it?  Again, it costs you
> > nothing.  No one loses business or anything.  No need to get your
> > feelings hurt.
>
> It costs all of the devs their free time, it may be free to the end users but
> it's not free to us. We choose to work on mythtv without payment, must we be
> immune to criticism as a well? It's more natural to have the opposite
> reaction, if you give up your time for nothing in a way which benefits
> others, it's a slap in the face to be criticised.
>
> Personally I might expect criticism to come with a paycheck. If I'm being paid
> to do a job then the employer has a right to voice their opinion. However if
> they are getting the product for nothing then it's surely common courtesy not
> to complain?
>
> As it happens, we all live in the real world and know that some people are
> just rude enough to complain no matter what. I suspect they would complain
> even if they were paid to use mythtv. We've usually got pretty thick skins
> but occasionally someone does something that we just can't ignore.
>
> In this case Reza, someone who to my knowledge has never made a material
> contribution to mythtv, came to the list announcing his intention to ditch
> mythtv - that's nothing more than trolling. We really don't care if he uses
> another product (really!), what upset us is that he didn't leave quietly. He
> decided to come to our development list and make his 'threat', he imagines
> that we value his loyalty so much that we'll all work even harder (without
> pay) to keep him.

He likely won't toot his own horn, but you do know that this is the
guy who released the first opensource hacking of the Rio Receivers (In
fact I can't see his name without thinking of them) and started an
entire community around open source network audio device development,
right?  He's not a random user who's never done anything for "open
source."

Your attitude is very old school, antagonistic, and a big part of what
people refer to as the open source "problem."