[mythtv] Status Question: Is current SVN useable?

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 20:05:35 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 January 2008 18:48:35 Willy Boyd wrote:
>  If' it's free,
> what does it matter if someone criticizes it?  Again, it costs you
> nothing.  No one loses business or anything.  No need to get your
> feelings hurt.

It costs all of the devs their free time, it may be free to the end users but
it's not free to us. We choose to work on mythtv without payment, must we be
immune to criticism as a well? It's more natural to have the opposite
reaction, if you give up your time for nothing in a way which benefits
others, it's a slap in the face to be criticised.

Personally I might expect criticism to come with a paycheck. If I'm being paid
to do a job then the employer has a right to voice their opinion. However if
they are getting the product for nothing then it's surely common courtesy not
to complain?

As it happens, we all live in the real world and know that some people are
just rude enough to complain no matter what. I suspect they would complain
even if they were paid to use mythtv. We've usually got pretty thick skins
but occasionally someone does something that we just can't ignore.

In this case Reza, someone who to my knowledge has never made a material
contribution to mythtv, came to the list announcing his intention to ditch
mythtv - that's nothing more than trolling. We really don't care if he uses
another product (really!), what upset us is that he didn't leave quietly. He
decided to come to our development list and make his 'threat', he imagines
that we value his loyalty so much that we'll all work even harder (without
pay) to keep him.
--
Stuart Morgan