[mythtv] Shouldn't MythTV disable the tuner between switching inputs?

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 23:03:46 UTC 2008

--- Sam Logen <starz909 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Cal <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:
>
> > Sam Logen wrote:

> users
> active.

> > the

> > inputs
> > livetv.

> would

> > > Hi everyone, I'd like to bring this issue up
> again
> > > because, partly, I didn't get a reply the first
> > time,
> > > and second, since some time has gone by, perhaps
> > this
> > > feature has been modified since then.
> > >
> > >   Anyhow, when I'm attaching a device to a/v
> > > connectors on a PVR-150, and I'd like to watch
> > Livetv
> > > through that, instead of the tuner, I can't seem
> > > change my inputs on the card because the tuner
> > isn't
> > > being shut off first (I have programming on the
> > tuner,
> > > so I want to keep that input source).  I'm just
> > asking
> > > if it's not better to have Mythtv shut off the
> > tuner
> > > before switching away from it to a different
> > input.
> > >
> > > You can read my original email above, it says
> > > basically the same thing.  I'm just wondering
> why
> > that
> > > sequence of commands (shutting down the tuner
> > before
> > > switching inputs) hasn't been implemented.
> Would
> > it
> > > break compatibility, or is there another reason?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sam
> >
> > Given that the ivtv drivers went into the kernel
> > sources with 2.6.22,
> > can I ask what kernel version you're using?  I've
> > been trying a little
> > bisection exercise on kernel versions to try to
> > identify where it stops
> > working (on my system at least), and so far the
> > results are a little
> > puzzling.
> >
> > Cheers.

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I can't really say about
that because I'm using the IVTV drivers from v4l's hg
repository (rev. 6837 - necessary due to my other
hardware testing).  If you still want to know, my
kernel is  2.6.23-gentoo-r3.

Best of luck,
Sam

PS.
I know that it was Hans from IVTV & V4L dev. that made
the change in the driver.  It was because switching
the inputs before the tuner is disabled would lead to
corrupt mpeg streams.  Perhaps I can contact them and
ask them when the change occurred in the kernel
versions.