[mythtv] A disruptive MythContext change is coming

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Jan 4 18:28:35 UTC 2008

I ran:
export LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed"

when I ran "./configure --help" it listed in the param list:
  --extra-ldflags=ELDFLAGS add ELDFLAGS to LDFLAGS [-Wl,--as-needed]

So it appeared to recognize it. I then configured and built fine. The
--as-needed flag didn't appear anywhere in the make output (though I
suspect that's because the linker pulls it from the environment, not
the command like).

I installed, ran it, and everything appeared to work. Whether or not
it was actually doing anything different or not, I don't know, but it
worked.

On Jan 4, 2008 12:49 PM, Craig Andrews <candrews at integralblue.com> wrote:
> I did some research regarding Debian testing (Lenny) and --as-needed is
> supported by the linker.
>
> I think you need to export LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" before you run
> ./configure and make.
>
> Does that work?
>
> ~Craig
>

> On Thu, January 3, 2008 7:02 am, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> >> Did you build it with "--as-needed"?
> >>

> > No. Passing it to configure gives me an unknown option error. I see it
> > in the configure file, but it appears it doesn't work. I'm getting the
> > following line in config.err: LDLATEFLAGS='-Wl,--as-needed
> > -Wl,-rpath-link,\$(BUILD_ROOT)/libavcodec
> > -Wl,-rpath-link,\$(BUILD_ROOT)/libavformat
> > -Wl,-rpath-link,\$(BUILD_ROOT)/libavutil'
> >

> > Does that mean --as-needed isn't supported on my system (debian)?
> >

> > --
> > Ron

Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/