[mythtv] Installing freetype (mythtv dependency)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Dec 25 22:46:47 UTC 2008

On Dec 25, 2008, at 1:18 PM, greg at bryantrecording.com wrote:

> I'm trying to get mythtv to compile for the first time, following
> the instructions at http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html
> (using the tar file for .21, not svn)
>
> LAME built with no problems, I'm skipping XMLTV, and when I try to
> configure mythtv, I get an error that FreeType must be installed.
> Can anyone tell me what the correct package name is?  I've tried
> freetype, freetype2, freetype_2.3.7, et all, and all of them return
> no such package, with the exception of plain freetype, which tells me:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install freetype
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package freetype is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package freetype has no installation candidate

This is a -users question, not a -dev question. At any rate, you might
be better off looking at the install instructions for your specific
distribution since that will include the dependencies you need. Also,
you should not use the tar file. You should use the -fixes branch
since (as the name implies) it fixes lots of problems that were found
after the original release of 0.21. The distribution-specific install
guides are here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Distribution_Specific_Install_Guides

The ones that point you to repositories are generally using the -fixes
branch so you're good to go. If you really want to build yourself and
not rely on maintained packages like Ubuntu has, follow one of the svn
guides but instead of checking out the latest code, check out the -
fixes branch.

I think that's sound advice and if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will
correct me. :)

-Brad