[mythtv] Live transcode while recording

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Dec 1 18:42:42 UTC 2008

* On Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 11:58:33AM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Note that Chris Pinkham has already done some work toward this.  TTBOMK,
> he has a preliminary (not ready for inclusion) patch that allows
> recording/transcoding to different formats (if not yet, eventually, any

Keep in mind that this is only for the software recorder (aka
NuppelVideoRecorder), it is not for cards/devices that do compression in
hardware).  Recording from a hardware-compression device to another
format not supported by that device is best left to the post-recording
transcoder.  It probably would be possible for someone to give the
transcoder the ability to transcode an in-progress recording, but that
might depend on the "multiple files per recording" patch which I still
haven't had time to finish.

--
Chris