[mythtv] Live transcode while recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 1 16:58:33 UTC 2008

On 11/30/2008 04:23 PM, René Bühlmann wrote:
> I hope this message does not get posted twice now (subscribed with the wrong address ;) ).
> If it does.. i'm sorry.
>
> I'm planning to implement live transcoding for mythbackend. This will
> make it possible to stream livetv with a lower bandwith (e.g. over the
> web) or record a show in a different codec than it was broadcasted.
> My plan is to extend the recording profiles for dvb sources to allow
> transcoding and let the recorder do the actual transcoding prior sending
> the stream to the "RingBuffer" (btw. is there a real ringbuffer in
> mythtv or QT?). For the transcoding, i will use libavcodec.
> An HTTP streaming server integrated into the mythbackend would then
> allow the streaming of livetv to any software like WMP, Windows Mobile,
> iphone without the need to install additional software.
>
> Is there already some work done or are there any other suggestions on
> how to do this?

Note that Chris Pinkham has already done some work toward this.  TTBOMK,
he has a preliminary (not ready for inclusion) patch that allows
recording/transcoding to different formats (if not yet, eventually, any
format supported by libav*) and for keeping and managing multiple files
per recording.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/331447#331447

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/247530#247530
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/358674#358674
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/303872#303872
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/251219#251219

and I'm sure there are many other posts, but that should give you an idea.

Mike