[mythtv] alsa audio output

cal cal at graggrag.com
Sun Aug 31 13:26:14 UTC 2008

With it having served me so well for so long, I'm hesitant to be too
critical of the existing audiooutputalsa code. However, there's been
enough irritation in there that I've done pretty much a complete
rewrite that I'm reasonably happy with.

The alsa mixer interface (and the existing code driving it) is
convoluted and horrible. One thing I've been playing about with
(successfully too) is abandoning direct Master/PCM control, and
instead, arithmetically controlling the volume on a per sample basis.
Works well. I'd like to float the question of how violent the purist
arguments against such a notion might be.

cheers, Cal