[mythtv] Wiki clean up

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 14:22:56 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 14:59:43 Andrew Close wrote:
> is there a central point of contact or wiki manager that changes like
> this should be funneled through?
> i'm still building out an HD capable system and would like to
> add/amend info on the wiki once i get things working, but i also don't
> want to step on anybody's toes.  i understand the principle of a wiki
> and how it works, but things in our little Myth world don't always
> follow other 'norms'...

The wiki is just like any other wiki, there is no central point of contact, if
in doubt post to the talk page first and be prepared to wait a reasonable
time for a response. If you don't get a response then you might assume that
no-one has an opinion. If pages need deleting, add it to the "Ready for
Deletion" category and it will eventually be reviewed/deleted.

There are some general guidelines that should be followed and I'd guess most
of these are common sense and apply to all wikis. e.g. Don't remove something
unless you are sure that it is wrong. Don't include guesswork in the wiki,
since it will just confuse newbies - "But the wiki says!". Watch spelling,
grammar etc - just because it's easy to edit doesn't mean you should be lazy.

Things which upset people include writing in the first person. Wiki != blog or
diary. In our case the wiki is a manual and should read as such.

On a personal note I don't really agree with Jay about keeping outdated,
redundant or irrelevant pages in the wiki since it just increases
the "noise". Finding information on the internet is hard enough without
having to wade through all the old stuff. I believe wikis should constantly
evolve and should not become archives like the static pages they were
designed to replace.
--
Stuart Morgan