[mythtv] 0.21 and ffmpeg handling of corrupt ac3

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Fri Apr 18 19:12:19 UTC 2008

>Certainly nothing wrong with doing that, but doing a check at the
>decoder makes sense as well, at least to me.  Corrupted data could
>come from other sources (the first one that jumps to mind is a
>front-end connected via a wireless network), could it not?

Possible but not likely over wireless unless one is using a UDP
socket and not checking and retransmitting dropped packets. A TCP
socket is guaranteed, you get the data or it stalls and you lose the
socket connection.

Think of it this way, if you ftp a file over a marginal wireless
link, the file either gets there intact or the connection
stalls/breaks and the ftp fails. It might take a long time to
transfer due to the retransmittion of packets. A successfully
completed ftp will always be correct.

You never have to check packets of data sent using TCP sockets. TCP
does the checking for you and that's why it's "slower" than UDP.