[mythtv] having problems with upnp on a netgear mp101

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Sat Apr 5 23:02:47 UTC 2008

Simon Kenyon wrote:
> Daniel Burr wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 22:08 +0000, Simon Kenyon wrote:
>>
>>> my mp101 (which used to work) is now saying unsupported format when i
>>> try to play any music. it used to work.
>>>
>>> so i turned on logging for upnp and see almost not messages.
>>> i see some initialisation stuff at the start; but nothing when the mp101
>>> connects to my backend.
>>>
>> I found the problem that I was having.  In MythXML::GetMusic(),
>> sBasePath had no value which caused the QFile::exists test to fail and
>> return a 404 error.  The reason for this was that I had a setting for
>> MusicLocation with my FE hostname but not with my BE hostname.  However,
>> uPnP used to work for you so you're probably not having the same
>> problem.
>>
>> I found that "tcpdump -X ether host <hostname>" was helpful to determine
>> what was failing.  Can you see any 404 errors being returned?
>>
>> DB

> that is not my problem. it has a good value on my master backend.
>
> however, i am confused by this line in the log:
>
> UPnp::Eventing::NotifySubscriber( 192.168.1.4:-7456 ) : 3 Variables
>
> as i don't have a 192.168.0.0 network here (it is 195.7.61.0)
> so whom is it notifying?
>
> will try to work my way through this code this evening to see what is
> going on.
> --
> simon

Simon, did you ever get your MP101 music client to work with mythtv's
UPNP server?

I have recently upgraded to .21 and saw some improvement w.r.t. watching
UPNP served up videos on a Sigma/Sayabs based client.  However, the
Netgear MP101 music client is still acting funny.  It sill is offering
up videos along with music.  My guess is that normal UPNP appliances
identify them selves and rely on the server not to offer up media beyond
the client's capabilities.  If you avoid these land mines (I think the
client will lock up if you try to play videos) you can get to two lists.
  A play list and an album list.  I am not sure how the play list works.
  What is found is played then the MP101 stops.  It certainly isn't all
the available music and there doesn't appear a way to change it.  The
album list is severely broken.  I can only see the first album title
which is repeated over and over again.  There must also be some sort of
communication problem as jumping forward to see how long the album list
might be results in a lock up.

I don't think these are Negear MP101 problems as I believe I have seen
no such problems while running Twonkyvision.

...thanks.