[mythtv] Proposed work on MythVideo - Re-tool video-manager for large libraries, Add the concept of a 'series'

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Fri Sep 28 14:24:25 UTC 2007

San Mehat wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>   Just an update on my progress with the MythVideo retooling to add
> better support for larger and more disparate libraries. This
> description does not go into the UI portions very much, although I'm
> hoping to have some screenshots in the next week.
>
>   So I've spent the last week going through the code and spending a
> fair amount of time on designing a combined 'browser/manager'
> interface which I feel would handle larger libraries better. I call
> this 'Vex' for 'Video Explorer' because I ran out of crafty names for
> things quite a few years ago ;). Vex works on tags instead of
> 'specific meta-data'. For example, an episode of the Simpsons from my
> season 2 boxset might be tagged as SIMPSONS, TV_SHOW, ANIMATED,
> MATT_GROENING, SEASON_2, BOXSET
>
> The browser or 'media selection' paradigm is that instead of
> organizing your data or metadata to meet the organization you want
> (ie: creating directories for things and switching to the
> file-listings which is what I was forced to do after my library got
> larger than 800 entries), you define 'Views' onto the data which allow
> you to represent the data in whatever organizational structure you
> desire. A view itself can be represented as
>
>   - The view ID
>   - The view name, ie: 'Sans Favorite Shows which arent animated'
>   - The view expression which each movies metadata is evaluated
> against to determine if its in this view, ie: 'TV_SHOW AND
> SANS_FAVORITE BUT NOT ANIMATED'
>   - A parent ID for the view, which allows views to be nested into
> 'trees' for display.
>
>   As you can see, this scheme allows the user a large amount of
> flexibility in organization without needing to change the data in any
> way.
>
> ADDING VIDEOS
>    When adding files to the video_root, a daemon picks up the addition
> and automatically tags the video with an internal tag 'RECENTLY_ADDED'
> There is a canned 'view' which displays all content which is in this
> tag that can be browsed just like any other 'view'. Users can select
> the video and use menu options  to quickly scan imdb for a match which
> will automatically create tags if desired. Also the user can at any
> point add or modify tags which are applied. A cron job which runs
> nightly periodically removes videos from the 'Recently Added' list if
> they have been watched.
>
> WATCHING VIDEOS
>   Nothing really different here, although when you have been deemed to
> have watched a video (and not just scanned through it), Vex tags the
> video with another internal tag 'RECENTLY_WATCHED'.
>
> DATABASE CONSIDERATIONS
>   This new code does not share any existing tables in the database. I
> did this initially because I wanted to be able to continue to watch
> movies while I develop,but later I found that this scheme required a
> much simpler database format. In it's current form, Vex does not mess
> [...]
Glad to see someone taking up this challenge. I have a rather large
anime collection in MythVideo and using deep directories is the only way
I can make things pretty. Tags sound like a good plan, and I like the
"recently added" idea so that I can quickly tag newly added videos.

This may have been mentioned already (lots of noise on this thread), but
what I really want in MythVideo is a way to do mass changes. To be able
to select 100+ Naruto episodes and set them to category 'Anime' or what
have you. I have found no way to do this in the current MythVideo
without resorting to direct database changes. So, if you could keep that
in mind I would love it. :-)

Sorry I'm not gifted enough to program these things on my own, so I am
one of "those" people that has ideas but never helps make them happen.
Personally, I happen to feel even those without coding abilities can
still help by debugging and putting forth ideas.

Mike