[mythtv] Proposed work on MythVideo - Re-tool video-manager for large libraries, Add the concept of a 'series'

Joel McKee Cooper joel at mckooper.com
Wed Sep 26 22:29:18 UTC 2007

On 9/20/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/19/07, San Mehat <san.mehat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> >   After talking with Anduin a bit on IRC, I'd like to volunteer to do some
> > work on MythVideo and the video manager for larger video libraries ( > 1100
> > videos). I'd like to do some re-tooling of the video manager, providing a
> > folder-based view for manipulating meta-data on your library. I would also
> > like to look at adding the concept of a 'Series' of videos to MythVideo (For
> > holding my Simpsons boxsets which I've ripped, transcoded recordings I have
> > made, etc etc).
> >
> >   At the moment I'm just throwing this out there as a 'is anybody else
> > working on this?' as well as a 'hey do you have any neat ideas for this?'.
> >
> > I expect to be starting on this work in the very short term.
> >
> > -san
>
> I, for one, welcome your new work on MythVideo!
>
> I especially like your Series idea since I have many series and then a
> bunch of random stuff (commercials i've saved, random clips of car
> stuff, etc) that all gets treated as one now, it would be great if
> along with the Series I could also create a "group" to group these
> random recordings and have them treated like a "series" (though they
> wouldn't really be).
>
> You will not find a lack of ideas for MythVideo (as with MythMusic),
> so I suggest going through the wiki wishlist and implement what *you*
> would find useful and once your done with that (or sick of it all) see
> how many more ideas come out of the wood work =D
>
> --
> Steve

FYI, I've been meaning to work on this idea:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/280157 (or search on
"RFC optional gallery")

but just haven't had the time.  Don't know how it fits into your plans
:)  I was also thinking it would be nice to "tag" the videos rather
than "categorize" them.  That is, be able to assign more than one
tag/category to a video, so that if, for example, in my mind a
particular movie is both Sci-Fi and a Horror, I could find it under
either category...

-Joel