[mythtv] Backend AutoDiscovery

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Fri Sep 14 06:25:03 UTC 2007

Now that David has bravely checked in the AutoDiscovery code,
we can start refining the initial version. Random suggestions,
in no particular order:

1) If there is a valid mysql.txt pointing to a valid database,
we should probably use that instead of putting up the new
AutoDiscovery chooser?
I know once you choose a server, config.xml is used subsequently,
but the new behaviour is "different" without needing to be?

2) Moving the autodisc stuff to MythContext?
That way MythTV.app (and maybe MythTV-setup)
can also be configure-less?

3) Remove duplicates from the chooser. One machine gave me:
Select Default Myth Backend Server:
  Do Not Connect To MythBackend
  viking: MythTV AV Media Server
  viking: MythTV AV Media Server
  MythTV AV Media Server on mythtv

4) Add IP address (or something) for generic machine names?
(e.g. MythTV ... on mythtv)

5) One of my clients seemed to not AutoDiscover any backend,
but I have no idea why. Maybe need -v upnp in new code?

6) Make "Do Not Connect" a button down the bottom?

7) Myth themed UI stuff.

8) Maybe put a button for the chooser on or before
the first Setup -> General (database) page?

Feel free to add your own. I will start work on a few of these

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"In this city I confess;
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | god is mammon, more is less.