[mythtv] Aspect Question (svn -- probably a RTFM)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 8 22:35:01 UTC 2007

On 10/08/2007 04:04 PM, mythtv at longhome.co.uk wrote:
> I agree. This used to be possible, but since the -vid merge I haven't been
> able to achieve it.
>
> I've always thought that 2 separate settings are required, although maybe
> this isn't really necessary. I think that the current 'Zoom' setting
> should
> only apply to 'non-native' broadcasts, ie 4:3 broadcasts on a 16:9 set and
> 16:9 broadcasts on a 4:3 set. At the end of the day, there should be no
> scaling required on native broadcasts.
>
> With the current functionality, if I want to apply a zoom (to remove the
> bars on 4:3 broadcasts) then I lose a whole chunk of my 16:9 picture too.

Doesn't it make a lot more sense to include the aspect override (and
possibly zoom) in the Playback Groups (not playback profiles--these:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/7965 )?  That way, users can decide
what's right for them on a recording-by-recording basis.  On some
recordings, I may choose to use 14:9 and cut off some of the 4:3
broadcast; on others, I may decide stretching 4:3 content to 16:9 makes
sense; and on others, I may decide I want to watch it 4:3 content in 4:3
letterboxed.  I choose zoom/stretch based on the content of the show as
much as based on the format of the transmission.

Regardless of whether Playback Groups are the right place for this
setting, I don't think it belongs in the playback profiles, but should
be put somewhere with more fine-grained application depending on the
specific recording.

Mike