[mythtv] Aspect Question (svn -- probably a RTFM)

mythtv at longhome.co.uk mythtv at longhome.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 20:04:37 UTC 2007

I agree. This used to be possible, but since the -vid merge I haven't been
able to achieve it.

I've always thought that 2 separate settings are required, although maybe
this isn't really necessary. I think that the current 'Zoom' setting should
only apply to 'non-native' broadcasts, ie 4:3 broadcasts on a 16:9 set and
16:9 broadcasts on a 4:3 set. At the end of the day, there should be no
scaling required on native broadcasts.

With the current functionality, if I want to apply a zoom (to remove the
bars on 4:3 broadcasts) then I lose a whole chunk of my 16:9 picture too.

Now, there may still even be a requirement for 2 settings, because there are
quite a lot of 15:9 / 16:10 boxes appearing on the market. In this case it
would be useful to have a separate policy for 16:9 or 4:3 broadcasts. Still,
if the rules are more like a 'policy' than a standard zoom amount, one
setting would suffice.

The following I would see as the options required:

Bars - Letter / pillar box
Clip - Fill the screen, maintain square aspect, clipping may occur
Half - Mid point between Bars and Clip
Stretch - For our fans of fat/thin heads