[mythtv] thoughts about the "mythtv sucks" comments... " was "video sources"

hendrixski hendrixski at storsint.com
Fri Nov 30 02:22:19 UTC 2007

Stuart Morgan wrote:
> hendrixski wrote:
>
>>> The problem isn't that MythTV has dozens of developers waiting for good
>>> ideas to implement, it's the opposite, there are hundreds of ideas and
>>> tickets to be worked on but only a handful of people willing or able to
>>> spend their time working on it.
>>>
>> If the problem is that there are not enough core developers in Mythtv,
>> then what is being done to recruit and train new ones?
>>
> Anyone can become a contributor (or developer without
> commit access). Just starting writing bug fixes or new features.

:-) Yup, and I'm working on such a contribution with someone else right
now.  If I may politely re-pose my question, I was asking more about the
amount of _outreach_ for finding new developers and contributors, and
for fostering talent.

Would an outreach program like training events for newbies, or
structured seminars for existing contributors, and a mentoring program
to turn contributors into core devs, solve the problem of "too many good
ideas not enough implementors"?  Is there already something like that?

The point is... I would benefit if there were a structured class or
group-tutorial session on how to make better mythtv contributions, and
I'd like to know if such educational options exist.  Because
Google/lists/IRC only gets you so far.

:-) hope that doesn't sound silly :-)

> For a list of major contributors see: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/GoToDev
> and http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:MythDevelopers

:-) Sweet.  Thanks.  That's pretty helpful to know, because it's kind of
putting a few recent posts into perspective for me. :-)

--
 - Hendrixski

How to ask questions:
 * Do your homework: google it, search archives from lists and forums
 * Ask on the appropriate list or forum using a meaningful header
 * Be precise, impersonal, to the point, state your goal, and say "please" and "thank you"

How to answer questions:
 * Verify what they're asking about, turn bad questions into good ones
 * Give information, ask if it answers their question.  Rinse & Repeat
 * Not all manuals are created equal! link to your favorite one and say "Read This Fine Manual"