[mythtv] HAL and myth was "thoughts about the "mythtv sucks" comments... " was "video sources"

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 21:53:09 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 November 2007 21:26:29 hendrixski wrote:
> > The problem isn't that MythTV has dozens of developers waiting for good
> > ideas to implement, it's the opposite, there are hundreds of ideas and
> > tickets to be worked on but only a handful of people willing or able to
> > spend their time working on it.
>
> If the problem is that there are not enough core developers in Mythtv,
> then what is being done to recruit and train new ones?

Core developers are just contributors who have submitted enough quality
patches to attract the attention of the lead developer and are then invited
to join the team. Anyone can become a contributor (or developer without
commit access). Just starting writing bug fixes or new features.

You are encouraged to discuss your work on the -dev list to ensure that you
aren't wasting your time working on the same issue as someone else and that
your approach is good. Otherwise there is nothing stopping every single
person out there from helping.

> I browsed the website, SVN, and wiki, and I see no documentation about
> "How to become a core dev".  Not even a list of who the core devs are
> nor tales of their heroic hacks.  Is everyone listed in the AUTHORS file
> still active? I would have assumed Mr. Dean was a core developer had it
> not been mentioned above.

There is no HowTo on the subject. You either show a commitment and enthusiasm
for working on MythTV by submitting patches to fix bugs and add useful
features, or you don't. The only difference between the core devs and
contributors is commit access.

You can get a good idea of who the core devs are by subscribing to
the -commits list.

For a list of major contributors see: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/GoToDev
and http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:MythDevelopers
--