[mythtv] mythstream and TRUNK/HEAD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 29 02:05:08 UTC 2007

On 11/26/2007 03:19 PM, Eric wrote:
> On Monday 26 November 2007 11:45:16 Jose Bernardo Silva wrote:
>> On Nov 26, 2007 10:37 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>>> If only I could not have it crash when I exit the plugin :-(
>> I have exactly the same problem, which on a keyboardless frontend is a
>> big problem... A solution for this would be nice.
> I would love to fix this, but I can't reproduce the problem. Tips, hints and 
> backtraces are welcome.

Quite some time ago, I encountered this problem and--coupled with my
desire for a non-visual approach for playing my 'net radio (which Eric
has since fixed in MythStream)--it's actually the reason I wrote a
little script to replace the part of MythStream's functionality that I
was actually using.  (Just background, not really relevant--only
explaining the past tense.)

The interesting thing is that I was running MythStream on several
systems from 2 compiles--one a 64-bit compile and one a 32-bit compile
(actually compiled on one system, tar'ed and copied to other identical
systems for install).  On my systems, MythStream would crash
mythfrontend on exit only on the 64-bit machine--not on the 32-bit
machines.  So, I chalked it up to a 64-bit issue, but didn't have any
time to investigate.

About a month later, I was extremely surprised to find out that
MythStream was crashing mythfrontend on a friend's 32-bit box, where his
Myth box is an image of my 32-bit box (and /every/ piece of software on
the system is completely identical).  His is a 32-bit combined
frontend/backend.  My 32-bit machines are dedicated backends, on which I
ran the frontend to test MythStream (i.e. making mine a combined
frontend/backend machine).  My 64-bit machine is a dedicated frontend.

His 32-bit machine (where the crash occurred) and mine (where it did
not) are both Athlon XP 2000+ systems.  The crash occurred every single
time you exited MythStream on the systems with issues.  So, it doesn't
even seem like a race condition.

Therefore, I'm pretty certain that the issue has something to do with
configuration.  Unfortunately (because I took the easy way out), I
didn't make time to do any further research on the issue.

Anyway, I thought I'd post my experiences in case they're useful to
someone who does find time to work on the issue.


More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list