[mythtv] revised greedy high motion deinterlacer

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Sat Nov 24 17:00:50 UTC 2007

Markus Schulz wrote:
> Would be nice to hear some comments and if there was a chance to apply
> it to svn.

I have tested this deinterlacer with today's SVN (14946) and it looks
nice.  For SD content it's a big improvement over bob, especially when
zoomed in.  Thanks!

As the originator of the current hack to look at the deinterlacer's name
  (in videoout) to figure out whether to double the frame rate, I agree
this could be cleaner.  But as I recall, the filter object itself is not
available in the videoout code, just its name.

My desktop system (Core 2 Duo 6600, 2.4 GHz, running a 32-bit install)
plays SD just fine -- clock speed stays at the low-speed tick (1.6 GHz),
and consumes ~30% of one core, and ~15% of the other.

This system struggles to keep up with 1080i content with the 2x filter
-- seems to get ~25 fps, which is just barely not enough.  This uses 80%
+ 60% of the full-speed CPU.  With the non-2x filter, we're fine --
using 60%/45% cpu.

-Doug