[mythtv] h.264 multithreading

John reidjr at btconnect.com
Wed Nov 21 20:30:20 UTC 2007

Riz wrote:
> I'm using jannes patch[1] to enable multithreading for h.264 on the
> latest svn trunk, but myth is still only using one core, which is
> causing frame drops.
>
> Playing the same stream in mplayer with 2 threads plays perfectly,
> using both cores.
>
> Is there something I am missing?
>
> [1] http://www.grunau.be/multithreaded-decoding_2.patch

Did you remember to compile with --enable-ffmpeg-pthreads ??

I have just recompiled r14931, and the same patch. I see both cores
being used while watching BBC-HD. It is unfortunately still unwatchable,
because of the problem Janne is working on (?). BBC-HD continually drops
frames with the current SVN. This was fixed for BBC-HD with the earlier
"eit patch", but that broke other channels.

I also notice that BBC-HD used to be autodetected as Progressive, but is
now detected as Interlaced. To play it back smoothly you need to
manually select Interlaced (reversed).

regards,

John