[mythtv] dev and release builds on same machine?

hendrixski hendrixski at storsint.com
Tue Nov 6 01:56:41 UTC 2007

It is possible to have separate systems without having to shell out more
money for hardware. If you install a virtual machine you can run your
unstable environment inside of it (and save a few snapshots every so
often so that if you hoze everything just go to a previous snapshot).

If you're adventurous install a test environment in a chroot (make sure
that you link it properly to the Xsession, or else it won't make it past
the commandline). That way you can have SEVERAL development releases of
*any* software distributed between several copies of your file system,
or you can develop against several branches each with their own clean
filesystem.  WARNING: The performance gains of doing this are probably
not worth the headaches of when things go wrong.... so, like Brad said,
it's asking for trouble.