[mythtv] advice wanted - building my own remote control

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:49:28 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 05/22/2007 03:02 PM, ryan patterson wrote:
> > Personally I think lirc is a horrible program.  Way too complex for
> > what it actually does.
>
> I think you mean, "Way too complex for someone who doesn't use it to its
> full potential."  :)
>
> Mike

Yes you are kind of correct.  lirc is able to handle way too many different
hardware interfaces (serial, usb, i2c, irserial, etc.).  And the same
program is used for both input and output on potentially each of the
different interfaces.  I think each hardware interface, in/out-direction
combination should be a separate program.  There would be no lose of
features but the user could easily select the version they need.  I'm sure
much of the same code is reused for each interface.  But it is way too
complicated trying to figure out what options to enable and compile and
configure just to have lirc do absolutely nothing when I run it.

I have successfully used lirc in the past.  Once it is working it does a
fine job.  But I just don't see any advantage of having an all in one
program.  It is like the people that say, "soon the telephone will be built
into the television."  Who thinks that would be a good idea?  It just adds a
layer of complexity and limits how you can use the phone/TV (ie if the wife
is talking to her sister you can't watch the football game).  Not a perfect
analogy but I think both come from the same incorrect thinking, "Wouldn't it
be cool if we add this extra feature to lirc/television?"

Sorry for the rant.  I'm just confused as to why I'm the only person who
sees a simple solution to the lirc configuring nightmare.  Just break it
into separate programs, one for each different interface.