[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sat May 19 09:47:46 UTC 2007

I still don't like the idea of burying content within submenus that
can't be navigated to directly from the main page (or any other page),
especially because there really aren't that many sections within the
proposed site.

I've updated categorization and main menu at my sample site:

    http://newmyth.forevermore.net/

Keep in mind that really only the front page works (meaning I haven't
tested any of the links and most are broken).  I've also borrowed a
rudimentary version of Jean-Philippe's color scheme, since it seems to
be the current favorite (although there are supposedly a few more
mockups on the way).

Anyway, since it appears that the conversation is moving along toward
placement of content, I want to officially open discussion about
placement of menus, etc.

I honestly don't like the blank area that the left nav menu ends up
creating when there is long content on the page (which there will almost
certainly always be), but I can't think of a better way to show a "full"
navigation tool that doesn't require some sort of javascript/magic
(which I would prefer to avoid).  I think that my original idea was to
use some javascript and/or fancy css hover stuff to show the secondary
navigation options beneath the main title bar sections.  It might be
worth it to require a little magic if it gives us the full page width to
play with (especially because it'll make integration easier with trac
and mediawiki).

Anyway, I'm sleepy and starting to ramble, so I'll stop before I get
incoherent.  I'll hopefully be able to implement some of this tomorrow
to see what it feels like.

-Chris