[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu May 10 06:08:32 UTC 2007

I just thought I'd let everyone know that I've started collecting the
mockup submissions in one place so we can look at them side by side:

    http://forevermore.net/mythtv/mockups/

I've also been working on a revised layout structure for the headings
and subheadings:

 * General
   * News
   * About / Features / Screenshots / Basic Requirements
   * Support / Community
   * Downloads
   * Contacts
   * Sponsors
   * Donations (at least explain the donation policy: fsf, etc.)
   * MythTV Store?  T-shirts, etc.
 * Documentation
   * Official documentation
 * Wiki
   * ...
 * Trac/Bugs
   * ...

I originally envisioned the main headings to be separated from the
subheadings by placing them at the top of the page rather than the left
nav, but am not tied to the idea if a good UI can be created without
doing so.  However, if the final layout works to integrate with trac and
the wiki, it would be nice to have least have some space at the top to
indicate which area the user is viewing.

I would also like to have somewhere, kind of like pidgin/gallery/etc.,
that has a quick link to download the current version of MythTV (a page
which would also describe svn, where to get at packages for the various
distros, link to MythTV-specific distros like Knopmyth, etc.).
GhostFreeman caught some of this in his latest designs, although I think
it currently encroaches too much on the news section of the layout.

No real need to worry about these in your mockups, since this is by no
means an official list, but feel free to use them if you want.

New mockups can be emailed to me or better yet posted under this thread
(I will wget them into place on my server).

If you want some actual opinions on things, I'll say that I like
Herman's and Miguel's designs the most so far, but just sent out about
15 replies to people who contacted me to help, so there may be some good
ones coming soon.  I'll post a few more opinions if the rest of you
chime in, too.

I also don't have any problem with the submissions from oswd.com, but so
far everything I've seen there has felt a little too "cookie cutter",
and I feel that MythTV deserves something that integrates better with
the personality of the community.  Maybe oswd has something that can do
that; I don't know.

-Chris