[mythtv] Time to Vote? (as Re: Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:44:25 UTC 2007

On 6/21/07, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> At 10:51 PM -0700 6/20/07, Chris Petersen wrote:
> >I think that if we move to consider the top menu a more dynamic area,
> >with two to four separate regions represented, we can fit in two
> >horizontal menus.
> >
> >    http://newmyth.forevermore.net/  (note: requires firefox for now)
> >
> >The extra two regions would be a blank area at the top for artistic
> >purposes, and a breadcrumb area somewhere to the left of the submenu.
> >With the addition of a breadcrumb, the submenu area would probably get
> >marked off visually even when its content is hidden.
>
> Is the "pop up" submenu deliberate (ie not just an artifact of my using Safari rather than
> Firefox)?  Because, I think those are a terrible design.  First, the user has no visible
> indication that there _is_ a submenu.  Second, it is awkward to navigate.  The user has to
> hover the mouse over the main menu and then, without accidentally touching another
> main menu choice, slide down to one of the submenu choices.  But if you goe to far, the
> submenu disappears and  you have to start all over.

generally I agree with Craig on these web drop down menu's, but I
found Chris's implementation quite easy to use (in Firefox at least),
the spacing was large enough so that the mouse would have to move
quite a bit out of the way to have the sub menu change and the submenu
pops up almost immediately after the mouse hovers over the menu
header.

I also like that the "Download" "sub menu" font color is different to
let the user know that it is not an actual sub-menu but a description
of what can be found there (the current version #). Do the menu
headers with submenus ("About", "News", and "Support") need their own
page or are the sub-menu pages enough? (ie, do the headers need to be
links to something as well?)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!