[mythtv] Interface to HID remote devices

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:33:37 UTC 2007

The biggest challenge I'm running into is simply finding any kind of
description of how any of this works.  I'm not familiar with the linux
architecture for handling user input or how it is received by
applications.  My suspicion is that to get this to work, Mythtv would
have to be modified to recognize and listen to a separate interface in
the HID driver that provides the key presses that are not part of the
standard keyboard.  But I don't know how to confirm this.

Does a /dev/input/event device get created for your remote?  ie. if you type:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

do you see an entry for your remote with a reference to
/dev/input/eventx (where x is a number)?  If so you can probably use
lirc to do the key-mapping for you.

try

irrecord -H dev/input -d /dev/input/eventN myconfig.conf

where N is the number of the event associated with your remote.  If
you get a response for all your keys then you should be able to use
lirc with something like

lircd -H dev/input -d /dev/input/eventN

using the lircd.conf file that irrecord created.

Have a look at this page of the wiki

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV_Nova-T_PCI

it's Nova-T specific but the 'remote' bit may apply.  It also talks
about patching the driver module, which would probably also work for
you, if you could work out which module your remote is using.

Good Luck