[mythtv] Interface to HID remote devices

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 4 18:17:55 UTC 2007

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/261395#261395

> The biggest challenge I'm running into is simply finding any kind of description of how any of this works.  I'm not familiar with the linux architecture for handling user input or how it is received by applications.  My suspicion is that to get this to work, Mythtv would have to be modified to recognize and listen to a separate interface in the HID driver that provides the key presses that are not part of the standard keyboard.  But I don't know how to confirm this.

QT, not Myth, would need modification to support other keys (i.e. the
"KEY_TV" or "KEY_DVD" (kernel) keys).  At first glance, it seems QT4
(which Myth cannot yet use) hasn't really updated the list of keys
except for a few i18n and capitalization changes (so, really, nothing
for multimedia keys).  Oh, and to make things more interesting, you'll
find nice comments in the QT code (this, particularly, from QT 4.3.0's
qkeymapper_x11.cpp):

// Special multimedia keys
// currently only tested with MS internet keyboard

It seems QT is taking the "least-common denominator" approach to
platform independence on this matter.  So, you'll have to remap the keys
from the unsupported keysyms to some keysyms that QT recognizes (which
means looking at the QT code to see how QT maps X11 keysyms (not kernel
keys) to QT key names) and hope that between all your keyboards/remotes
you don't run out of supported keysyms.

Mike