[mythtv] RFC on proposed scheduler patch re: hdtv dups

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Jul 28 21:14:32 UTC 2007

David Shay wrote:
> On 7/28/07, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
>> David Shay wrote:
>>> I would like some quick comments on acceptability and/or direction
>>> before I go much further with some code work.
>>>
>>> I would like to add an additional check into the scheduler so that it
>>> would consider the hdtv flag.  Basically, I would like to be able to
>>> record both the standard-def and high-def versions of a program and
>>> not have them considered dups.  Yes, I know you can transcode them
>>> down, but if you have enough tuners, why not record both, and the
>>> networks have already done the appropriate pan/scan and format
>>> conversion for you...
>>>
>>> Anyway, here were the basic thoughts:
>>>
>>> * Add an additional flag to the scheduled recording class for duphdtv,
>>> add options on recording screen for ignore hdtv/quality or consider
>>> hdtv/quality.
>>> * Add hdtv flag to oldrecorded table.  Set existing entries to null in
>>> dbcheck.cpp
>>> * Add logic in scheduler.cpp to do additional checks based on duphdtv setting
>> The idea of allowing the user to choose to record an alternate
>> backup version of the same episode is a good idea but enforcing
>> HDTV as the exclusive criteria for this is limiting. The desire
>> to have an alternate recording is not exclusive to HDTV and what
>> you describe sounds as if it would enforce duplicate recording
>> for ever HDTV show.
>
> What other duplicate desires are out there? I'm not sure I understand
> the desire for duplicates by sourceid.  I'm sure there's a good
> reason, but I can't remember coming across it on the lists.  If there
> is some way to make it more general, I could do that.

In Europe the same issue would exist but with DVB and terrestrial.
Real world for me is that I receive my local CBS affiliate on ch 8
and digital cable 128. I record "Big Brother 8" from the set top
box on 128 but I've also added manual rules to record the same
time slots for ch 8 on a coax input on a different host. Here my
interest in more in having a backup in case the STB freezes or the
host or mythbackend fails.

The point is that I understand that you are thinking of wanting to
do this for your hdtv shows but the program.hdtv flag is not filled
in for the rest of the world, may not always be correct (known) may
or may not be available or have the same meaning in the future and
may not be the true distinction that someone else needs. Therefore,
I think a more generic solution would better in the long run.

Without getting too hung up on implementation details, if you were
going to make a distinction on whether or not the hdtv flag is set,
instead make the distinction whether or not the sourceid is the same.
The HD version should 'win' on input order, input preference, HDTV
preference, etc then allow one other showing from another sourceid
to record.

You can drop the part of my suggestion of chanid if only one source
but the question remains of what happens if there is only one showing
of the episode on one (sourceid|hdtv state)? Does it not double
record or does it make a second recording on any available input
even if it is the same source/chanid.

--  bjm