[mythtv] RFC on proposed scheduler patch re: hdtv dups

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 28 20:49:40 UTC 2007

On 07/28/2007 04:37 PM, David Shay wrote:
> On 7/28/07, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
>
>> The idea of allowing the user to choose to record an alternate
>> backup version of the same episode is a good idea but enforcing
>> HDTV as the exclusive criteria for this is limiting. The desire
>> to have an alternate recording is not exclusive to HDTV and what
>> you describe sounds as if it would enforce duplicate recording
>> for ever HDTV show.
>>
> What other duplicate desires are out there? I'm not sure I understand
> the desire for duplicates by sourceid.  I'm sure there's a good
> reason, but I can't remember coming across it on the lists.  If there
> is some way to make it more general, I could do that.

I probably should have mentioned this to you in IRC, but it didn't hit
me how similar your desire is...

Anyway, many users have desires to "keep the show in case it doesn't
re-air, but allow it to re-record to get a better copy" to work around
issues with broadcast interruptions, weather, weather alerts, capture
card issues, partial recordings due to failures or conflicts or ...  (In
these cases, many may want Myth to just replace the original--though I'd
lean toward manual deletion of the old one in case the new one is worse
than the original.)  Some may be interested in recording it twice for
reliability reasons (i.e. if they're having issues with a firewire
recorder or whatever).

Chris Pinkham has been working on code to allow keeping multiple copies
of "the same" recording (i.e. same chanid and starttime).  His is more
meant to allow transcoding and keeping both the original and the
transcoded versions under Myth's management, i.e. HDTV to non-HDTV for
low-powered frontends or whatever.  Even though you won't need any of
the code to allow multiple copies of the same recording (since yours
will happen on different chanid's and perhaps at different times), you
may want to talk to him about the UI for it.  I.e. are you going to have
2+ copies of each show in the playback box and force the user to find
the right one for the frontend or are you going to integrate it into
playback groups or are you going to list the episode once and pop up a
dialog asking the user which one to play back.

HTH,
Mike