[mythtv] Qt 3.1 still supported?

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 23:59:25 UTC 2007

On 7/25/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 01:34 +0200, Janne Grunau wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 July 2007 00:37:57 Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > > I thought we were still supporting 3.1, if we've switched to
> > > 3.3 already then the change should stay. It looks like debian
> > > stable is at 3.3.3 already, and debian stable is usually one
> > > of the last to upgrade.
> > >
> > > But I would feel more comfortable about it if someone can
> > > reference a post saying we have switched or Isaac pipes up...
> >
> > I haven't found such a post. The requirred qt version changed in
> > http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/9225 to qt 3.2 as indicated in
> > http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1363 and in
> > http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/11588 to 3.3.
> > I find it a little bit strange that the online docs are from trunk.
>
> Me too, that feels like a bug...
>
> > > There are a few benefits to 3.3, like 64 bit int support,
> > > that would be nice to be able to depend on.
> >
> > The 64 bit ints were already added in qt 3.2 so the change is safe and
> > should stay.
>
> So it looks like this was just for QImage::copyBlt()? If we
> want to support Qt 3.1 it wouldn't be hard to fix this, but
> then again it Qt 3.2 is pretty widely supported...
>
> -- Daniel

Can I play devil's advocate and say why not just bump up the minimum
to 3.3 or even later?  Obviously, backwards compatibility is nice, but
you've got to measure the risk/reward ratio.  As a user, I'd rather
see new, inovative features, improvements, etc that a newer version
could provide.  I would have to say that the folks who run myth for
the most part rarely have a problem keeping up to date with software
releases.  Myth is not like a pre-packaged software component (or
environment) that anyone can expect to work without setting up
additional components to make it work.  If one of those components is
a minimum version of QT that's greater than what the current version
of myth requires, then I call that progress. Most of us would happily
go to QT4 if that was the direction the developers took.  And for the
few who don't/can't upgrade past 3.3, then perhaps they don't intend
to upgrade their myth installs either.  They can still run a version
of myth that is compatible.

Just my 2 cents.  Either way, I think it's a good idea that these kind
of things are discussed instead of just simply decided without talking
through the issues.  Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks!
Matt